Old 12-11-19, 11:05 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Gererally for gravel, most folks want at least 19 mm internal width and the closer to 25mm internal the better for a 700c rim. Even wider if riding 650bs.

The new Shimano GRX wheelset is excellent with 21.6mm internal width, 1625 grams weight for the set and cost $419. They have CUP AND CONE bearings too (thank goodness!). The new FSA gravel wheelset is pretty goood too at about the same price as the Shimano and just a few grams heavier but a bit wider and has sealed bearings. HuntMason X is comparable to the FSA set. Hunt is newer but good, about the same price though they ship from England unless you find a local shop like SweetWater Bikes in PA that stocks Hunt in the shop. Sometimes you can get hit with the new import Tarriff though when you import Hunt wheels from UK so be wary if you go that route.

Between these three I'd buy the Shimano myself as they are excellent quality and as light as many $1,000+ carbon wheelsets. As a matter of fact I am buying a set of Shimano wheels this week! The Shimano wheels do not get much attention with all of the botique wheelsets available out there, but if anything like the road wheels they build they should be outstanding, they have been building wheelsets for decades and do not put out any sub standard stuff. Shimano has great warranty backing and are easily serviceable by anyone without need for special sealed bearings.

I currently own a set of the FSAs and two sets of the Hunts mentioned above by the way so I can speak with firsthand experience with each.