Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I'm not against new technology and I understand how pedal assist works. What I am against is defining an e-bike as a bicycle. When you add a motor, it fundamentally changes the concept. It doesn't matter what fantastic new tech is governing the application of power from the motor. The fact is that there is a motor, a second source of power that is not the human riding it. This is not even remotely equivalent to other advances in bicycle technology, such as: tension spokes, pneumatic tires, derailleur gears, hollow steel tubes, etc.

Also, many e-bikes are not pedal assist, but operate like traditional mopeds or motorized bicycles.

Here in LA, e-bikes are often used on bike and multi use paths, to circumvent traffic. I consider this an abuse and I am against that. Motor + pedals = moped. E-bikes may be a great improvement for the general population's simply getting around. They are certainly more environmentally friendly than cars. I'm not against them, only think bicycles should be considered a separate category.
You can't lump all ebikes in with people who make electric motor bikes. Have you tried road-legal systems? I don't know the rules in California but where I am the 500 watt system is an assist. They aren't a magic cure for not going fast.
In general a MUP should have a speed limit.
Likes For Aquakitty: