View Single Post
Old 07-17-19, 06:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Won't that be great to see? Two robots each sitting between the bollards and waiting for the other to get out of the way. Worse than the Chip-n-Dale routine the drivers around here do, trying to give me the right of way when I'm not expecting it. "after you!" ... "no, after you!..."
People on this site rarely have good things to say about motorists (despite many being one), but here they're often very polite - too polite!

Yes I'll be sat there waiting for the cars to pass, so I can cross. But a car will stop, the driver gesture for me to cross.

I'd really rather not.

For one, giving up your right of way confuses people. But it's often dangerous because they'll do it having just left a 70mph by-pass. Does it not occur to them that someone behind them might be following suit..?! It reminds me of when someone puts their car into reverse without checking behind them. Seen a few shunts in petrol stations from this. Utterly brain dead.

I'll do the stand-off all day when I have my kid on the back. These idiots think I'm putting a child in front of a car, on a main road, at the end of a slip lane, when the traffic has right of way..? These are the kind of air-heads you're contending with when you cycle on the roads. My technique for a fast result is to stand straddled, and fold my arms crossed whilst shaking my head. This way, the motorist can see I'm not going anywhere.
Likes For MikeyMK: