genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
The thing is, if you're going to ride amongst pedestrians, you need to ride accordingly. Cadence goes out the window. Sit upright, slow down, be sociable.

There's no good being all like ''Well the law says I can ride here'' and to hell with the spirit of the order intended.
What if there are NO pedestrians, and the sidewalks are designed extra wide... and connect to MUPs and side paths?

Rather defies the typical description of sideWALK, eh?

Lake Havasu City in Arizona is like this too. There is one main fast highway that runs through town. Highway 95. Has speed limits of 45 and 55 MPH, (may be 40 for a short 4 block stretch) and not a single bike lane in sight. But paralling this road is a MUP... a sidepath. Quite suitable for cycling... and the occasional pedestrian.

Bike down 95, and you will be taking the lane, and have to watch every intersection, and driveway, maintain control of the lane, and be aware of who is behind you, whether they see you and are slowing, and who is beside you, and whether they are drifting into you or are flat out unaware that you are there, as the motor traffic merges and mingles. Or, you take the sidepath... and watch the intersections and driveways. Your choice.

Sure, you are NOT going to ride sidewalks in any major city dowtown core, where they might be filled with people, bus benches, fire plugs, lamp posts and all manner of other stuff. I would never attempt to cycle in that... which indeed was the case near my home in the Clairemont Mesa area of San Diego. (Or downtown, or Northpark) But that situation DOES NOT EXIST EVERYWHERE. So the admonition to NEVER ride sidwalks is false. There are situations where sidewalks work quite well...

It really DOES depend on the situation. And where I am, the situation is such that sidewalks and side paths, connect with MUPs and I maintain a wonderful cadence, relieved of the burden of dealing with that 360 view situational awareness that is required while riding on a motor vehicle filled street. I still have to watch every crossing, every drive, and intersection... but I would do that just the same if I were riding in the street.

To be sure... no, I am not moving at 28 MPH... as some of you might do... but I also found that about 17 MPH was my typical speed when commuting those aforementioned crowded San Diego streets... where motor traffic moved at speeds closer to 50 MPH. Yeah, I could sprint to 25... but not maintain it for too many miles... and with traffic lights and merging traffic, I sure as heck wasn't watching "everything" while doing those speeds.

Keep in mind, I am not dismissing riding in the street here... I AM saying, at times, that blanket "don't ride sidewalks" dogma is really nonsense.
Likes For genec: