Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
My Midwest/rural USA perspective:

I don’t see a lot of gravel cyclists “moving on” to the next big cycling thing, at least where I live...maybe in other parts of the country. Gravel roads here are fun, challenging, abundant, offer great scenery, and in my opinion feel much safer than riding pavement (paved roads here are not designed with riding in mind, dedicated bike paths/MUPs are rare, and drivers are occasionally dangerous and inconsiderate)

E-bikes/E-assist is interesting and I think will continue to increase, but I can’t see it taking away a lot of gravel bike sales...most gravel riders that I know are very fitness oriented. I can definitely see many who bike for touring/commuting/recreation going that route. I view gravel biking as the last untapped fitness segment of cycling. Then again, maybe we’ll all be cyclekayaking in 5 years.
some gravel is more dangerous than paved roads. Blind hills, blind corners, Patrolled less, so people tend to speed more. Given the locality and the people that live off the beaten path. they tend to have a disconnect from society. Or come across as lawless. They'd be the first people to throw a beer bottle or an old oil filter at a cyclist just because.

For the moment I'll avoid the inner city, and some of the remote gravel roads... for more or less the exact same reasons.