Thread: 2019 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 08-06-19, 10:14 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
The only time I came close to 20h on a 400K when was I abandoned a 600K this year and that was still 20 and a half. Next year I'd like to do a 20h 400K.

The last weekend in July I did a 300/200K weekend and there was ~3500m on the 300K and ~2500 on the 200K. Both 6am starts... I was feeling really strong and was 15:32 on the 300 and 11:57 on the 200, probably could have been quicker on the 200 but didn't want to push it too hard. Both days I stopped for some longer sit-down meals since it was really hot both days. Gorgeous scenery since both rides started in Bancroft, Ontario in the middle of the Canadian shield.

This past weekend I did the Manitoulin 1000K and had amazing ride. The weather was perfect, days were warm but not over 30C like we'd had in July. It did get cold at night. Due to it being a holiday weekend and in remote areas, we were limited with hotels so we stopped at ~310km for our first sleep and left there around 2am... it was cold that morning, ~4C for a couple hours is what our GPSes were saying. The organizer told us to expect this so I was prepared though I could have used a set of toe covers for my summer shoes, oversocks didn't quite keep my toes warm enough. We had a support driver to do drop bags and water refills in a couple of spots where there are no services or stores, so that was really nice not to have to bring a cambelbak or water purifier. The second overnight was also cold, though only going down to 8C and we left at 4am with 330km on the last day. I had driven many of the roads on this ride but also hadn't been through some areas so it was nice to experience familiar roads on a bike finally and to see some new areas. I finished around 66:45 hours. I got around 10 hours of sleep between the two nights, which isn't all different from what I normally get somtimes! Here is a link to my photos from the ride: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clashe...7710148074636/

Last edited by clasher; 08-07-19 at 08:25 AM.