Old 10-19-17, 12:19 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@chas58, I'm with @cyccommute. Pinch flats come from doing something wrong. Most likely, I think it's insufficient pressure. Riding technique weighs into it. I don't buy that having inner tubes leads to pinch flats. I just don't consider them inevitable. I haven't had one in decades. It's possible that you hit bumps that no one should ride over, but I doubt that.
You are right, I hit bumps that no one should ride over. ;-) I'm not worried, I rarely get flats. I'm just surprised of often most other people around here get them.

I agree - inner tubes work great for many circumstances. Inner tubes don't cause pinch flats, but tubless prevents pinch flats and many puncture flats. Mountain bikers, gravel, and cyclocross have all gone tubeless, road riders tend to stick with tubes (mostly because tubeless doesn't work optimum with high pressure tires). If your tire is fat enough for the terrain and has enough pressure, inner tubes work great. tubeless is not for everyone. There are pros and cons to everything.

Apparently people here get flats much, much more than I get pinch flats (or any type of flat). So, I wouldn't worry about me too much. I would be more worried about people here that get more than one flat a year.

Last edited by chas58; 10-19-17 at 01:07 PM.