Old 08-06-19, 07:46 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
605 Side Pulls vs 999 Center Pulls

By the 1970's the Weinmann 999 center pull brakes were called the 610 and 750 models which referred to the reach. They remained pretty much unchanged from the mid 60's until the 1980's. DiaCompe made exact copies.

There were several versions on the 605 side pulls. Differences in the quick releases, minor cosmetic changes and the brake pads and carriers. The 605 calipers began as dolled up versions of the old Weinmann 500 side pulls.

Early version 605 brakes with X-Block brake pads.

2nd generation 605 calipers?

Latest version???

Brake block material can make far more difference in stopping power than caliper style.

In 1975 Weinmann introduced their X-Block brake pads. They used a compound similar to KoolStop pads and improved the stopping power of all of the Weinmann products. Some of the old X-Block pads that aren't too hard from age still work better than the knockoffs from Jagwire.

KoolStop is making X-Block pads to fit Weinmann brakes. They also make both types of the old style pads - 7 dot and 4 dot in red or black compounds. They are well worth the ~$25 cost.

Weinmann 605 brakes came standard on my1983 Peugeot PSV-10. They work adequately but not like dual pivots. I'm running Jagwire pads in them now but I'm going to replace them with KoolStop pads.

All of these style Weinmann side pulls are a PIA to center without the proper sized tool to fit on the recessed hex nut inside the plastic housing on the center axle. I found a 1/4" drive socket the was the right tool. Can't remember what it was size but I'll repost when I go down to my shop later.

BTW, Mafac and Universal center pull brakes were standard on most pro racing bikes until Campagnolo came out with their side pulls in 1969. Some pros continued to use Mafac center pulls until maybe 1972.

Regardless of performance, center pull were suddenly out! Everyone had to have side pulls! Image is everything...

The 1971 Raleigh Competition beater bike that I bought last year came with a NOS set of DiaCompe 610 knockoff center pulls. I sanded about 1mm off of the pad surfaces and I was surprised at how well they stop.

I recommend sanding a little off of the braking surface of new pads too, even KoolStop pads. The top surface is hard or gets hard with age. Exposing the softer material underneath gives improved braking.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-06-19 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For verktyg: