Thread: Hydraulics
View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 09:50 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I think the use of Hydraulics on bicycle is a great thing.

I am just confused to why people shorten it to 'Hydro'. The o makes it pertain to water?

why not just shorten hydraulics to 'HYDR' ?

Enlighten me.

So, you’re confused because referring to hydraulic brakes as ‘Hydro’ might give people the impression that they’re full of water instead of oil?

In the very limited scope of a bicycle forum, when discussing brake systems, I think most people would recognize Hydro as referring to hydraulic as opposed to mechanical brakes. Is there another kind of bike brakes? Air (pneumatic) maybe?
Also, since it is a text based environment in here, “Hydro” is fewer character inputs, and less likely to trip up your autocorrect.

Or do you just want to argue?

BTW I work on hydraulic systems. Big, complex ones, in really extreme environments. No one calls them “Hydros”

We also don’t run them exclusively on oil-based fluids, we use propylene glycol for some applications, and if we need a whole lot of volume, we have the ability to pump seawater. (But not unless we really really need to)

Last edited by Ironfish653; 11-08-19 at 04:50 AM.
Likes For Ironfish653: