View Single Post
Old 03-28-20, 04:40 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
It is back together again, however, now I have another question. Which freewheel would be preferred:

5 speed Shimano made 14 - 28t
6 speed Atom Compact 77 14 - 28t
5 speed SunTour 14-27

All three are used and in good working order. The Atom was taken apart and regreased/oiled. The Shimano only got oils squirt into it and the SunTour has low miles and is like new.

I've heard some negative things about the Atom compared to the the Japanese freewheels. If I had a six speed SunTour or Shimano, this wouldn't be a question, but since the Atom is a six speed....

And now I have to rant. With the spoke protector in behind the the freewheel, things look better, however, it doesn't erase the fact that there is so much extra room that could have been better utilized by either less dish or more gears.

I have a Shimano Freehub that I will be measuring to see if I can use the same spokes. Unfortunately, it is 130mm O.L.D. spacing so, a little extra frame work would be required, in addition to rebuilding a wheel.