Old 03-24-20, 08:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Take a look at a B&M or similar European headlight. The use of an LED illustrates that designs for filament bulbs are no longer applicable. The B&M design is brilliant. It might have been expensive to create, but is it expensive to duplicate? I don't know. It's not just the lens, it's the reflector. The B&M has its LED on top, pointing down, and the reflector turns it forward. There are many subtle curves to achieve the beam shape, and the result is that it is brightest at the top. This way, intensity does not diminish along the ground as you get farther from the headlight. It's not just a cutoff.

And maybe I'm giving more credit than necessary, but I can't help being impressed.
I have two B&M headlamps, an Luxos U and an IQ-XS. I agree that they were well designed, but with the automated manufacturing in use today, almost everything is built with high precision compared to decades ago. I think you are giving it more credit than really due.

I could be wrong but I think the main reason that they shine the light down and back to the reflector instead of the classic way with parabolic lens is to avoid non-reflected light from shining forward where it could shine above the cutoff.

Everything to do with LEDs has been amazing over the past decade or so.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: