View Single Post
Old 03-13-21, 11:25 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Groupset for Cyclocross frame

Hi all.

I have a (not new) steel cyclocross frame (fairly nice one - True North Cycles) that I want to build up. Build for a bit of light trail riding, maybe some cyclocross racing, and double-duty as a road bike. I'm selling the road bike, as it's a little too small for me, and I never loved the frame anyway (old Specialized Allez)

It's not a disc compatible frame, which I'm fine with - though that knocks GRX out as an option. I want to stay 10 speed as I share a direct drive trainer with wife and kids, all bikes are 10sp, no plans to upgrade them all to 11sp.

What should I put on it for parts? I wanted to go Advent X, but can't find the drop bar shift levers anywhere.

I don't have my heart set on 1x or a clutch derailleur, just liked that one.

Options I've looked at:
Microshift M100 shifter with shimano MTB clutch derailleur, 11-42 rear. 1x, or 2x with a weird friction shift front
This is very close to the Advent X I was going to do if I could find it.
105 5700 shifters, 9sp MTB derailleur, 2x
Uses the shifters I was going to sell with the bike they're currently on, unfortunately.
Buy a new Tiagra 4700 group, 2x
Probably good for the road & trainer use - any opinions on road gearing off-road? I've done off-road riding with 38:27 as lowest gear, but probably want a little lower than I'd get off the hop with this.
What gearing should I be looking at?

Anyone with other suggestions or that knows someplace with Advent X drop bar levers in stock, love some input.

Thanks!

Last edited by Viich; 03-13-21 at 11:32 AM.