View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 05:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
A few points.

First, once a wheel has broken 2 or 3 spokes, it's usually a good indicator that it's at the end of it's life.

In a way the bike shop is right, time for new wheels. However they are living in the 21st century replace the whole 'wheelset' world. The correct thing is to simply relace the hubs. You don't throw out dura ace hubs because you broke some spokes...

I'm going to disagree with most of the people on this forum with this, but, generally it's a bad idea to reuse an old rim. In this case, since the spokes are definitely toast, I recommend that you take the rim once the spokes have been cut, and lay it on a flat surface to check the true. If it's pretty much dead flat, and there are no signs of cracking or fatigue around the spoke holes, you can probably reuse. Also try to check the roundness as best you can before cutting off the spokes.

That said I generally will always recommend a new rim and new spokes if rebuilding a wheel. This was the rule during the C&V days and IMHO it still applies today. Rims are essentially consumables.

Don't forget to remove the freewheel before cutting spokes.
100%, rims are consumables and reusing 40 year old rims when the spokes are also going is not the best practice. The rim is just waiting to start cracking.
Originally Posted by ts99
Question:

I'll look at those sites and probably buy that book, so maybe the answer is in there, but are there extra sturdy spokes or lacing patterns or tensions? I'm a very big guy and when I'm out of the saddle and wagging back and forth, that's a lot of force.
Yes, but don't go nuts with special spokes or builds. Ebay is your friend here, spend time watching for a NOS set of rims that will keep the character of the bike. I also buy my spokes there since I can get a pack of wheelsmith butted spokes for 30.00 in the exact size I need. You'll find for the hubs you have that dish isn't that much of an issue, once you have rims measure them and plug the numbers into an online spoke calculator. Buy 2 packs of wheelsmigh butted DB14 which are still one of the best general use spokes out there, might have to buy nipples separately. Duplicate the spoke pattern you have, its more then strong enough. Upside is that it will also guide you in how to exactly lace the hub and make it easier to build the wheel.