biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DSchlichting
In 2 of my 7 tours in New Mexico, I have ridden from different points in to Los Alamos, then the next leg to Jemez Springs. I've always toured New Mexico late in October, just due to work timings. These have been pannier trips, staying in hotels, so a bit different from your plan. Regardless of where you come from into Los Alamos, I suggest you take NM4 instead of NM502, e.g. in my case, coming from either Abiquiu or Ojo Caliente through Espaņola, I sort of "overshoot" Los Alamos to take NM4 in from the southeast side. NM502 is too busy, too fast and way too narrow. Steep climb right out of the box when you leave Los Alamos and pick up NM 4 towards Valles Caldera. Road is very narrow, but in my experiences, pretty quiet. It is a beautiful descent where the Valles Caldera National Preserve property opens before you. You can go onto the property, but I've never had the time. It is a net downhill all the way past Jemez Springs to NM550. There is a lot of outdoor recreation type locations once you get south of the Valles Caldera property, but not particularly busy and no services that I ever saw. I never rode NM 126 towards Cuba as that is partly unpaved and my Spectrum does not have the clearances. Biggest risk here, as you get closer to Jemez Pueblo, are packs of dogs. But that can be said about much of New Mexico, nevertheless, it is a spectacular place to ride.
Thanks for the info. Did you do mainly on or offroad riding?