Old 07-18-19, 02:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
off topic, but I was tempted to buy some showers pass ones, as they look to go higher up than my old MEC rain booties (my rain pants are slightly short, so higher booties would be nice)

how do you find them?
mine are thickish material, well not thick, but they are a bit bulky when folded up.
I realize Id need to see them in person to really know, but in general, do they work well?
Mine work well, after all these years, and I have a spare new pair that I bought for my wife, but she doesnt use, so I can replace my decades old ones with those....just intrigued by the S.P ones.
thanks

ps, have never found SP ones sold here, only seen them online.
I have had them for at least a half decade, rarely use them. But they work ok. They fit over the shoe pretty loose. You had to cut your own hole in the sole for your cleats. And if you have several shoes, that hole gets larger when you try to have a single hole fit the cleats on many different shoe soles. And since they fit a bit loose, that hole can move and not be in exactly the right spot later. That movable cleat hole is the only complaint I have with them. They are quite light and bundle up quite small.

It appears that mine match their current offering.
https://www.showerspass.com/products/club-shoe-covers

Would I buy them again? Probably not, but at the time I bought them the store had very few choices. I only use them on the Keens now since I have since bought some other shoe covers that fit well over my other shoes.

My rain pants are some older (now discontinued) REI Elements pants, they are way too big for me but that way the legs are long enough to fit down over the tops of the shoe covers when my knees are bent so I do not have rain getting inside the shoe covers over the top. They are big enough that I use suspenders on those rain pants.

On my other (non-Keen) shoes I use some Gore Windstopper high viz color ones, that in the photo instead have mud color.

But these Gore ones do not fit over my Keens because the Keens are quite wide.

Since I only wear shoe covers when I have rain pants on, and if it is too warm for rain pants, I just get wet instead of wearing shoe covers. Thus, I do not use them very much. I carry a pair of hiking shoes on bike tours, a few times I wore the hiking shoes for a day after teh rain quits while my cycling shoes are drying out from rain.