Thread: Kickstands
View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 05:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That's a nice looking bicycle.

A number of years ago I was looking at getting a Surly LHT frame from a local bicycle shop. I was very interested in that frame until I found out that putting a kickstand on it would void the warranty. I even corresponded directly with Surly and was told by Surly that yes, putting a kickstand on a LHT did indeed void the warranty. Perhaps they've changed their policy since then. Voiding the warranty by putting a kickstand on the frame killed my interest in that Surly frame.

I had an MTB years ago that I used for extended logging/mining road touring. My friend had one too. Sometimes when touring or even just riding around certain areas there is no convenient place to lean a bicycle especially a loaded one. I've been in many areas where leaning the bicycle against the small trees there would result in the bicycle falling over. That's true of many of the rail-trails near where I live too. The bicycles my friend and I had had TWO kickstands each on them. One kickstand was a chainstay mounted one and the other was mounted at the rear onto t he chainstay and seatstay. With those we did NOT have to lay the bicycles down when we stopped or when we load up or gear onto the bicycles.

Like I said, sometimes there's nothing nearby to lean your bicycle against such as in this old photo.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: