View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 02:06 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
One thing I learned pretty quick... I ride a lot of rolling terrain, it is either up or down. If I am going to take a break it is very tempting to do it at the peak of a climb. For heating and cooling that is the worst possible time. When you stop at the top your body is creating the max amount of heat and you no longer have the wind cooling, the sudden "stopping at the red light" situation. Done with your break or pause you proceed down the other side. Much less heat being generated and full on wind cooling and you probably build up sweat from the extreme. When it's warm out anyway this is usually not a problem but any sweat buildup prior when it is under say maybe 50-60F (depends on the person and clothes) and it can create a condition that is hard to recover from as the ride continues.
So where do you stop? Part way up the hill is my guess. (allow yourself to coast until you're near stopped) Surely you wouldn't waste energy and brake at the bottom!