View Single Post
Old 04-12-21, 02:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Eric, I agree with the points you've made and yes it's silly to suggest carbon as a material will just fail as one is riding along. I do feel a lot of people in the thread are not making an apples-to-apples comparison. The OP didn't generalize carbon bikes. It seems he is only referencing the cheap no name 'open mold" carbon bikes that can be had for $800-$900. Then everyone started talking about how reliable their $3,000+ Tarmac or Giant TCR has been.

Again, agree with your points made on the subject of carbon but I don't think a bike I can order direct from China for $900 is the same as Specialized, Giant, Trek, C'dale.......
​​​​​​At first, yeah, the OP was still "in character." But then:

Originally Posted by motopokep
I'm very comfortable, I've ridden steel bikes since the age of 4 or early 5, when I took off the training wheels, while many other kids my age were still using them. I rode almost daily during the warm season up to my early teens, then a lot in college, and occasionally rode my alum bike with no issues ever since 2006. I like to ride, I'm very comfortable with steel and aluminum bikes. I'm not comfortable with CF though I want a CF Bike. Maybe the frame will not fail, but the CF handlebars, wheels, or most likely the CF fork will fail. I don't see a point getting a CF frame with the rest of components being aluminum. I'd like it to be either all CF or all aluminum. I got the answers I wanted from this thread and made my decision to go with aluminum for my purposes. I see that 99% on here have faith in CF. I'll get back into this hobby with a cheap aluminum bike, and if I'm really into it down the line, I'll purchase a quality CF bike, from a manufacturer like Specialized or Trek, who are trusted for quality CF. Oh wait, didn't Specialized recall 12,000 CF forks? https://www.velonews.com/gear/specia...f-12000-forks/
Likes For Seattle Forrest: