Old 04-17-20, 12:27 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
Woah, thanks for all the suggestions! This forum is even more responsive and helpful than I remember

Picked the bike up this morning and got the shop to keep the cheap-o platforms on, so I can ride for the time being. I might take the pedals from my 29'er for now and use them until I make my final decision.

The more I think about it, the less I am wanting a clipless setup. While I understand the benefits, I just hate having my feet locked in place (have used both cages and straps before and could never get used to them).

If I do decide on platforms long-term, I'm starting to realize the $40-70 range has a lot of great options. For some reason the Shimano XT's are really speaking to me from an aesthetics standpoint (and the brand will match the other components on the bike).
I never liked clipless, or straps, etc either. I really like to be able to re-position my feet. Feels far more natural to me. With pedals w significant pins and shoes like Five Tens, my feet never move or leave the pedals unless it's intentional, even in the rough. And, I read enough Grant Peterson to get his ideas firmly stuck in my head....