Old 11-12-18, 01:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Stiff stem recommendations? Realised during a standing start yesterday that I really need to replace the cheap one I was using to dial in my position...
Originally Posted by brawlo
There was a stiffness test done a while back, someone moight be able to find the results. The problem is it's dated now and a few of the stems have changed design or been discontinued. From memory, the PRO Vibe track stem was top dog and the 3T alloy stems with the wider front plate bolt spacing (can still be found as a MTB stem) rolled in after.

NOTE: do not discount the part your steerer, fork and bars have to play in how flexy your front end feels. Decent quality stems would show negligible flex compared to those other parts in the chain
+1

The 3T Arx stems are really good, fairly priced, easy to find, with LOTS of size options. I've owned a few when experimenting with fit. Avoid the titanium bolts, though. You'll need a star wrench to adjust them as the metal is soft. If you do happen to get a stem with ti bolts, go to a hardware or hobby store and replace the bolts with steel that use allen wrenches. The ti bolts aren't bad. They are just a PITA when you have to carry a special tool to adjust them.

Thomson X4 MTB stems have been a go-to stem for sprinters in the US. However, the sizes are somewhat limited to the most popular options. I've owned several over the years and have one now on my steel bike.

The AUS men and women are known for using both. I was looking for photos and guess what I found in the same photo!

Also...

Jimmy Watkins (USA) using a 3T Arx stem on a Felt TK1 (using a standard fork) vs Shane Perkins (AUS) riding a Thomson X4 stem on a BT in the London Olympics:

Last edited by carleton; 11-12-18 at 02:02 AM.