Old 05-24-13, 08:42 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gabeham206
So, Temptation and curiousity led me to my LBS a few days ago to test ride a new Secteur compact. It felt great and was amazed how light it was (I have a big mountain bike now) And by the time I brought it back into the store from my ride, I was in love. The salesmen made it a point that if I were to buy this bike now, I'd need to get some beefy wheels. They quoted me a price for $350 for parts and labor (Labor was $120 of that), And that was using the hubs already on the bike. Does that sound reasonable?
Why bother with new rims? If they are using the same hubs that are on the bike, it just sounds like they are replacing a new hoop with a new hoop that both have the same amount of spokes. They look like 32 spoke wheels from a picture I googled.

So a big no from me on rebuilding the wheels. Just ride it lightly, don't be hitting potholes and bunny hopping it or jumping off curbs and so on. You will be fine. Rebuilding the existing wheels strongly reeks of profit taking on the LBS's part. So that does not sound reasonable.