Old 10-09-13, 04:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Up until recently, my wife didn't ride at all, but two years ago we were in Australia for a while and a bicycle was needed for commuting and so we bought a low end Trek Hybrid - 7.0 FX for about $350. To my delight, she enjoyed riding and began to do some recreational riding, and this has increased with time. Now, in warmer months anyway, she rides 3-4 times/week, with rides up to 30 miles on the weekends. She says she's not really interested in speed, but it's not unusual for her to come back from a ride and tell me that she was pleased because passed so and so on the trail (particularly if it's some guy who thought he could pass her because she's female). I seldom ride with her, but I know she's getting faster and I think she's normally riding 12-14 MPH average speeds.

She has a birthday coming up, and I think she would enjoy moving up to a better, possibly faster bike. The problem is that she's resistant to drop bars, so many obvious options are out. (Similarly she's still resistant to lycra, to clipless pedals, etc. I don't push any of this - it's her ride.). Can any of you who know about hybrids (I know next to nothing) suggest a nicer ride? I'd be willing to spend up to ~$1200 or so.