Old 10-23-13, 02:30 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most important for me is the base layer. That one next to the skin if not a good grade of wicking material will get you wet--and cold. Then it is layers of S/S jersey-L/S jersey and normally a top layer to suit. Lucky in that I have an Assos winter jacket that is windproof and warm but that may mean that the L/S jersey is left off.Final layer-even if it is in the rear pocket- is a lightweight jacket that is water and windproof and breathes by the number of vents under the arms and across the back. Handy in case of rain or it being colder than I thought.

Legs and depends how cold. 40f down to 30f and I will wear KNickers. Long shorts that cover the knees and they are a winter grade in Roubaix material. Below 30f and it is time for the bib tights to go on and not much weather protection in mine but once again they can be had in "Winter" grade.

But the big problem is always the extremities. Ski mask for the face and I often find this is too warm but take it off and the ears freeze. Hand and feet and I discovered SealSkinz socks and gloves many years ago. Both are waterproof but do breath and if you can keep the feet dry then they will stay warm. I used to use two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between the two but Sealskinz are better. The gloves though and I do need to look at a better pair on the road bike. I have a circulation problem in the hands and road riding with the higher speeds and less finger movement and the hands do get cold.

Spike Milligan