View Single Post
Old 12-04-05, 01:43 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Consider yourself in cycling "rehab". If you don't already have wide range gearing on your bike you should be actively seeking to outfit it as such now. Next I would say you need to ignore any arbitrary indicator of your cycling abilities as you used to know them such as average speed for your rides and focus on consistency and spinning. Keep your effort on the cranks low and spin as much as possible up the climbs. Focus on easy breathing and reset your psychology with regard to your climbing....what I mean is to keep an open mind, climb regularly, drink fluids, keep spinning and don't be so competetive with yourself that you start overdoing it and ripping tendons and overstressing your frame. Try to stay seated when you climb as well. While you are in this rehab mode you don't need to be standing on the pedals (yet) to climb, that will come later after you increase your endurance and take off some weight. If it seems that the writer of this post is being a bit bossy or cocky with my recommendations, its only because I've put my self through this "rehab" numerous times in my life and its very humbling. After putting in consistent effort over a long period of time you will lose weight, increase speed and comfort on the bike and generally be much more capable. My goal is to not have to yo-yo between overweight and unfit and "almost fit". If you stay active during the winter and exercise at least 3 days a week year round, like I intend to do, I think you will continue to improve and also you'll realize that your hillclimbing is just another effort and take it in stride. Good Luck.