View Single Post
Old 04-13-17, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Heh! Back in 1965 Charles Siple, father of Adventure Cycling co-founder Greg Siple, was "plotting" a design for a stealthy drive motor hidden in the seat tube of a racing bicycle as the "next big thing". He wrote about the "Checkered Flag Special", including a detailed sketch, as an April Fool's article for Bicycling magazine that year...

Vintage Bicycling Illustration Shows Mechanical Doping in Pro Cycling as April Fool | Bicycling
Some would call that prophetic.

I remember many years ago "Adventure Cyclist" totally got me with its April Fools book review of something like "The History of the Spoke Nipple". It was so convincing I truly believed that some bike techie geek (IIRC, the fake author was Swedish) would actually write such a book. The only reason I finally figured out it was a joke because a couple of the other joke pieces were easier to spot. Total face palm. I actually sent AC an email congratulating them. Someone wrote back and said they got a lot of messages from people saying they had been fooled as well.