View Single Post
Old 10-05-17, 07:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Hutchinson Override 700x38

Size: 700x38, about 39mm wide, about 400 grams each.
Tread pattern: minimal file tread pattern in the center, progressively larger file tread on the shoulder.
Construction: 127 tpi, flat protection included, tubeless
Performance on pavement is excellent, like most road bike tires
Performance on firm gravel is excellent with very good cornering grip on a hardpacked fine gravel
Performance on deep or soft gravel is acceptable, float and traction is sufficient due to the wide footprint and supple construction.
Durability: good so far
Ride: super smooth and plush

The tire was eventually easy to install tubeless with a standard floor pump. I did pre-fit the tire using a tube and let it take shape at 80psi for 48 hours. This allowed the tire to seat quickly and hold air with 30 ml of sealant.

The Hutchinson Override is lightweight and very fast rolling. The Override helped me nearly produce the same kind of speeds I experience on my road bike on pavement with 700x25 Rubino Pro tires. Performance on a wide range of dry surfaces is excellent. Firm gravel, dry grass, dry single-track are all traveled with speed and confidence. Soft and rutted single-lane gravel roads require focus and skill, but can be covered quickly with sufficient traction. Wet gravel and pavement are acceptably easy to travel if the rider avoids any excessive banking during turns. I avoid wet earth and grass, it's not the right tire for those conditions.

PS;
I've covered more miles and completed the 50 miles Cuba Gravel Crisis with the Override. I continue to be highly impressed with the tire. Traction, durability, reliability all continue to remain at a high level. I'm unable to break the rear tire loose on soft sandy trails, unless it's a very steep climb and I stand while mashing the pedals. Simply sitting on the saddle re-establishes traction. The front tire also maintains traction well on flatter routes. However, I'll install a knobby tire, like the WTB Riddler, on the front if I expect faster downhill sections that require urgent braking and cornering. No need to remove the Override from the rear. It rolls fast with a surplus of traction.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-28-17 at 10:35 AM.