Old 06-08-19, 01:26 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The new program / firmware is in

I got up a little early yesterday so I could truck on down to the LBS before heading off to work. After speaking with one of the mechanics there the previous day on the phone, we both seemed to agree that the problem was likely what I had previously surmised, "problem with the computer control module". Didn't take long to fix. Maybe ten minutes for the actual diagnostic and download then another 15 or so just BS'ing about ebikes and such. The guy told me that not only did the module take a new program but so did the switch. Interesting. The diagnostic also checked out the battery as well.

No time to take it for a test ride after getting it back since I had to get to work but I did just now finish a short test ride minutes ago after getting home from work. Didn't want to be out too long since I plan on taking a nice long ride tomorrow. So far, no problems, all seems good to go. System is up and running and the only difference I see in the UI is that there is no more "walking mode". Walking mode was kind of redundant anyway so I doubt I'll miss it.

Other misc. comments; I mentioned to the mechanic that since there is no "back pedaling" ( the chain does not go backwards although you can reverse pedal ) that it makes it hard if you want to clean the chain. He suggested that I take the chain off and clean it that way. I told him I always hated trying to get those "quick link" things apart and then he showed me the easy way by using a Park tool. That will work but still not as easy as using one of those plastic chain cleaners.

Several posts back I talked about getting caught in a down pour and how the rain jacket I had with me on that day was a total fail. Well, last weekend I was driving down the road during a light rain when I just happened to notice a guy riding a bike wearing one of those clear vinyl emergency poncho's. What struck me was that he wasn't putting the hood "Over the helmet but under the helmet". Sheesh!.....Now why didn't I think of that. Not the perfect solution and likely hot as all get out BUT it should keep the rain from pouring down my face as long as it's not raining really hard. When I got home that day I tried mine on that way and by Jove I think it's gonna work. Worn under the helmet the hood on mine comes out over top of my glasses so I consider that a big plus as it should keep water from running down my face and into my eyes...at least that is my theory that I hope proves to be actually. Regardless. I hope never to get caught in a downpour like I did that day. Riding in that kind of rain without some type of face shield would be almost impossible.

Tomorrow I'm planning what I call a "Lightning bug Ride". This is a ride where you start just before sunset when the Lightning bugs are just starting to rise from the ground. I've done this before and the Lightning bugs put on quite a show. I think this particular route is about 17 miles and has a good 2-3 , steep, roller coaster type hills. When I did these hills on my normal bike I could make it to the top but would always have to stop near the top to catch my breath ( and that was more than ten years ago ) Can't wait to try the Trek ebike on the biggest hill. Not suppose to rain tomorrow but one never knows.