Old 06-09-19, 08:15 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, they are different and teh S-As are unique in a few ways, but so what? One can always ask, "which one works better for me?" and in more detail compare the riding experiences. You can even throw a design that is radically different from both S-A and Berthoud into that mix, such as the Toupe Gel, and ask the same questions.
You are correct, but he's not asking "which one works better for me?" He said he spent "decades" riding uncomfortable saddles and stumbled upon his "nirvana" saddle with the SA. Then he says the Berthoud saddles piqued his interest based on their looks alone. Later he questions "if they were similar in feel..."

So yes, he can throw any saddle into the mix and give it a try, but my point (which I guess I made poorly) is that the Berthoud or pretty much any other saddle with a simple cut-out won't perform anything like the SA. The Rivet comes closest, but still won't be the same as his "nirvana" saddle.

He certainly won't be the first to buy a saddle based on looks alone. I know I'm guilty. But Berthoud saddles aren't cheap and just because they come with a cut-out doesn't mean they function the same as the SA. Of course there's also vanity to consider -- maybe he can buy the Berthoud and ride it uncomfortably but stick with it just because he likes the way it looks. That happens.

But you're right. If he were asking "which one is better for me," then all designs should be on the table. Saddle fitting is a tricky business and sometimes the solutions are found in the strangest of places.

-Kedosto