Old 12-19-04, 08:18 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by netso
First of all I must say that I am in pretty good shape. I am 61yo, having a resting heart rate of 44, LT of 28, and a 41 VO2. However, I have HBP. I was given ADALAT, and LOPRESSOR. Since then I have experienced Nose Bleeds, Flushing, Muscle Soreness, tiredness,fatigue, insomnia. These are supposedly common side-effects. The result on my biking is like I gained 20 lbs. It has really slowed me down.
What other medications if any are any of you taking? Do you experience the same? Let me know.
Tell me about it!

Generally, the first line of defense against HBP is a diuretic such as Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). I do not know if ADALAT is one of those drugs.

My BP skyrocketed in conjunction with my recent atrial fibrillation (and I believe the drugs I am taking for that).

I can not use Ace Inhibitors because of the side effects of continuous coughing.

I am on HCTZ, Diovan and Norvasc also, and it is pretty much back in control, but still not as low as I would like. The Norvasc takes anout two weeks to be fully effective. I have been on it a week. I also take a small amount of Lopressor (Beta Blocker) to slow my heart down from about 158 BPM to now about 60-70.

For many years I have eaten absolutely no additional salt, and try to choose foods low in salt, and eat a very low-fat diet.

There are hundreds of drugs for blood pressure. You should tell your doc of your concerns and the side effects - the doc can change drugs for you.

Right now, I feel the side effects are not significant, probably because the major factor in my life right now is the atrial fibrillation, which has reduced my heart output by about 30%. I have been walking 3-5 miles per day outside and using my trainer inside. I continue my weight lifting. I am 65 yo. I track my BP daily on an Excel spreadsheet, taking three different BP's at least three minutes apart, and, using the spreadsheet, average them.

It is really a bummer being a walking drugstore!

Good luck!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-19-04 at 08:31 AM.