Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
I'd like to hear from anyone who has ridden the northern W-E route, specifically about how long the ride lasted. I have July and August open and am curious if 2 months is long enuf...Not interested in the southern route have driven that sev times and its flat utterly boring from PS Ca, to Austin,Tx, have no desire to ride that part. Has to start somewhere at the Pacific Ocean, can end anywhere in the NE or western NY state
Camping mostly, moderate daily ride lengths, I don't ride fast,but comfortably
Many of the otherletters have been helpful but i thought i'd add a few comments. First, because the way the rockies and appalachians trend, the further north you stay, the further apart the two ranges become. I am doing the northern route myself this summer (95% sure) and will kiss the rockies goodbye at Helena Montana, basically; and not hit really hilly terrain again for many, many weeks. I want to do it that way, actually; from my touring experience, it is flat tablelands that are really unique geologically. I don't think i'll get bored in the lake and forest regions of upper Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan!

I do agree though that with 'only' two months, rather than ride hell-for-leather across the US you might be best off to use ferries around the great lake regions. You'll hit the hill regions again in west central NY State and it'll be a bumpy ride from there on.

roughstuff