Old 06-03-19, 02:51 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
That problem is easily solved by installing bar ends inboard of grips. There are bar ends that have been designed specifically for this purpose, like the ones pictured (SQLab Innerbarends), but in fact most bar ends can be installed this way. The distance between them then is about equal the width of a regular drop bar, and the position is very close to riding on the hoods. If the bar ends are longer, they can offer up to 4 different hand positions, all with different forward lean.

Wow. That's an interesting setup. I have large hands and three-finger levers, I think, so I can just reach them if I need to tap them. But getting my hands back to the brakes has never been too much of an issue with bar ends.

Flat bars with bar ends all the way for me. I've just recently started shopping for and looking at bikes seriously again, and I realize that few people seem to use bar ends anymore. Or narrower bars, either.