Old 05-29-19, 10:23 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP As has been said above if you budget is $200 you can probably find a very nice bike if you aren't fixated on a particular brand. With some patience and looking on CL and FB Market place, local bike co-op etc on the regular you might be surprised what comes up and if you are willing to do your own work in refurbishing the bike that $200 can stretch pretty far. If you list the size frame you are looking for and your general location in NJ you might even have some members send you listings with suggestions. There is also a Craiglist thread on here that gets updated pretty regularly that might be worth checking out. I am no expert but I think with Bianchi you are paying for the mystique of the name and the fact they did make some very nice frames with good kit back in the day ratchets up the price even for the more entry level stuff. And or course they can boast their share of Tour and Giro winners on their frames.

Lots of great stuff out there from Trek, Nishiki, Univega, Raleigh, Peugeot, Schwinn. Motobecane. Specialized to name a few of the prolific manufacturers and I am sure I missed some. I consider first second and third FIT, a great deal on any bike is worth little as a rider if it don't fit, then I would worry about the condition of the frame and paint and then I would look at the components. Take it slow there are tons of great vintage bikes out there. Good luck.