View Single Post
Old 12-10-20, 08:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Some years ago I rented one of the Salsa double suspension fatbikes in Hurricane Utah for a couple of days.

I remember being very enhanced riding that thing. Among a group of 7 riders or so, I was able to ride up and down some ludicrous terrain that would be pretty sketchy without it. There's a lot of sand in that area too, and the bike was able to ride through where others were forced off to walk.

It was an eye opener! Still, I didn't want and don't want to own one. I can't remember the name of those Salsas. The weight penalty is one point against it. But the enhanced capability of the bike was too much for my tastes. It took some of the challenge out of the ride, and at the same time it had me trying dangerously technical and exposed lines, which made me think that if I had one, I'd eventually crash big-time.
The Bucksaw!

I live in Minneapolis area and I see Salsa staff test riding new bikes around town... I remember seeing a pre-production Bucksaw out in the wild - it was sexy and horrifying all at once.

I've rented some very nice full-suspension bikes, but for the riding we have here, there are so few reasons for full-suspension. I only ride the local single-track trails and there's no good reason for full-squishy on these trails. Only exception is going to the local ski resort for some downhill runs.