Old 08-29-22, 10:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,363 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
It would in some ways be a drop in the ocean, but I really wish a state DOT would put a page in the manual with a half dozen cartoon diagrams, things like:
It has been a long time since I've read the Oregon state driver's manual. I know there is also a specific cyclist manual too. But I'm not familiar with the fine details covered.

I agree there needs to be information about multiple road users. And, I would like driving tests to be written so that one can get whatever the passing grade is, 70% or 80%, but there are certain VETO questions, especially pertaining to vulnerable road users. Get those wrong and it is an instant fail.
"Here the road is wide, but there's a garbage can / tree branch / drain gate blocking it, the cyclist can't move over and the motorist must wait"
There certainly is something that riding on road shoulders one has to deal with debris. And, one may choose to ride further to the left than vehicle drivers might wish.

However, if a cyclist changes the lane of travel, they MUST assure it is safe, and even signal to a vehicle behind that they're moving over. This would be especially true when riding in a parking lane and approaching a parked car. Verify it is safe to pass the parked car.

I'd rather garbage cans not be placed where cyclists are riding. Do they place them in the middle of driving lanes?
And potentially (though no one really knows if it's true) "Here the road is narrow, but there are so many vehicles behind the cyclist that they'll need to momentarily stop on the unpaved margin"
How many cars? It is rare that I let more than one or two cars follow me. It often doesn't take much to let them get past. Sometimes one can just slow down in a driveway, and they'll pass by the time on gets across the driveway.