non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Which is why they allow completely fake "classic" 21st-Century built bikes with 10-speed cassettes......
As L'Eroica is a celebration of their heroic period, they invited people with bikes of that period or bikes that were built as a tribute to it. Down tube shifters and non-aero brakes were given as a guideline for the non-cognoscenti, as was "1987", presumably because that was more or less the last year classic, non-aero bikes were offered by the major manufacturers.

Bianchi built a tribute bike as best they could, using what is available new. Obviously they couldn't use second-hand parts, like you and I would. I think they did a pretty good job of making a tribute bike that looks the part and is saleable as well. I have seen quite a few on the road. As for the 10-speed cluster, I would have preferred a 5-speed, but looking at their end result, I can easily live with that. After all, I can't get up those Tuscan hills with a 13-17 corncob either.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Isn't that what the OP is inquiring about?
Maybe. I think P!N20 gave a useful answer by pointing out the difference between the European and American Eroica rules. Which, I'd like to stress, I think was a good decision.