Old 12-18-19, 08:18 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Congrats on getting a fine bike. Mine is an '87. After a frame up restoration I loaded it up to 70lbs and rode the GAP this past summer. It handled it all just great. GAP on my Voyageur

You'll see I went fully self supported so that 70lbs was bike, camping gear, kitchen, food, water, tools, etc. I shifted as much weight forward as I could but that 40 spoke rear wheel was still well loaded. No sweat, didn't even blink. You'll see I used that bottle position under the DT for a tool bottle with fuel and tools. The front fork mid mounts held my DIY cages for trail mix and protein bars. Lots of custom made stuff on that bike.

"Sealed bearings" may not be what you think. Yes they are somewhat sealed as they keep sticks, dead squirrels and gum wrappers out but otherwise they are pretty standard hubs. Take the hubs apart for an excellent cleaning and relube. The grease is almost 35 years old and dirty. Ditto the HS and BB and pedals.

Enjoy your voyageur and go 'venturing.

BTW, those canti brakes with new Jagwire pads did just fine. On the last day's decent from the Eastern Continental Divide, 22 miles down grade on that 70 lb machine, in cold rain, they worked just fine. 17 mph at times on stone unpaved trail. No worries.
This is very encouraging! It looks like I might have found a real keeper here! I am a bit concerned about 27" rims as opposed to 700 as there are so many better tire options. Using that extra set of bosses for a tool and fuel box is a great idea I had never thought of. I will take the hubs apart, but did not indeed know it was possible. I figured they were sealed throw-aways if they had gone bad. Congrats on your ride. That must have been a real sense of accomplishment!