Old 07-17-16, 04:05 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilGunton
Ok, so let's play a little mind experiment... someone invents a powered exoskeleton that is lightweight enough to be unobtrusive, and powerful enough to make a difference in terms of how far you can walk or run in a day (this actually isn't fantasy, they exist already in various basic forms). People obviously start using them, and they start showing up on running and hiking forums talking about the gear. How do you think this would be received by runners, when someone says "well it's still running, if I don't move my body then I don't go anywhere - it's just an assist". Some runners start asking whether or not this really belongs in the running forum, and then someone inevitably pops up with sob stories about how they had some medical ailment or other and this contraption allowed them to keep running with their kids or club buddies...
Neil, You are in luck - it has already happened.

Here's the story of Dick Hoyt, who pushes and pulls his son through triathlons. The only difference between their community and yours is that the people in this story support their efforts and don't feel threatened by what he's done.

In the video Dick says Rick said, and I quote: "Dad, when I 'm running it feels like my disability disappears"

No one tries to tell Rick he isn't really running.

Team Hoyt | Home Page

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-17-16 at 04:21 PM.