View Single Post
Old 07-21-19, 10:17 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I am pretty sure I posted here ages ago, but I am going to update since my circumstances have changed a bit.

I live in a mid-sized city in a big metro area (Oakland, CA). These days I work in Berkeley, a city that used to be a leader in bike infrastructure, but is resting on its laurels.

Oakland on the other hand, has really been thinking big about its bike infrastructure, and has launched a new plan focused on underserved communities. Over the past couple of years, infrastructure is getting better and better. Today I took a spin in the mini two way cycle track around the lake. It was quite nice, though a few sections were really confusing. It ends quite abruptly and it isn't obvious where to go to continue around the lake. I startled a cyclist when I slowed to figure out what was happening and crossed the lane. There was plenty of room, but the cyclist I crossed in front of was a little scared.

I am about to start commuting to work, now that my new bike arrived. But I am uncertain of the right way to get home. The traffic is terrible in the evening, and the routes with striped bike lanes all have either conflict points or lead to the shortcut to the freeway onramp. As things are congested, I really notice drivers are inattentive and in a rush. All of the logical routes home are along surface streets or alternate routes to the freeway. The three main thoroughfares all have similar issues. There is a trail that can be used for part of it, but where the trail ends is where the conflicts and congestion start. This is the part that worries me the most about my route. As I get to the last 1.5 miles or so home, it isn't too congested. My commute is just under 5 miles.

Still finding my way with this new pattern and commute.

Otherwise, I pedal to errands and outings - as long as the hill isn't too steep or I don't have to carry beyond my bike's capacity. I aspire to longer, casual rides. So I am going to keep increasing the distance till I hit my goals. This year has been rough for me from an exercise perspective. I have been dealing with a myriad of annoying issues from knee pain (from hyper extending and twisting my knee) and the latest is plantar fasciitis.

Last edited by jade408; 07-21-19 at 10:21 PM.