Old 12-28-17, 04:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Are there more 27.5 slick choices? I've never looked or considered it.

I've had wider file tread tires that rolled with less resistance on the road than some narrower slicks.
IMO because of the touring and the nature of market demands, yes 27.5 has far more, and better options for a fatter tire than 700 series tires.
As per the deleted post.... and replying to it. the Conti Speedrides will ride with similar rolling resistance as many less desirable 700 slicks. (Sport contact, gatorskins, pro4 endurance, etc...) with the difference being in weight.
Conti speed rides (430/495 grams) are not tubeless, with 100+ gram tube that now puts me on par with a 515gram WTB 27.5 road plus Horizon tire. While I have never actually roll tested the Conti speed ride to a 650 WTB Horizon, I can imagine the roll resistance winner will be the WTB Horizon. Put that Conti speed ride up against any 650 compass tire, and the Conti speedride (not a bad tire btw) will lose.
I absolutely love my 28c GP4000sII tires which measure 30c, Conti offers me a 4Season in a 32c.
I would love to see many of these higher end road slicks go to tubeless and 32/35/38/40c, but until they do.... 650 will be my game. and even then, I don't know if I'd pick one as the WTB Byway is what is on my radar right now.

Where is the limit for road plus on 700? IMO once we start going passed 32c, we might as well do 650... which is where the market is right now.

First world problems, I love it, I also love options.

I am probably not your run of the mill tire guy either. I'm spoiled.