Old 09-12-18, 08:34 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 4,053 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys!

As far as eating goes, I read and watch all kinds of info about bonking or hitting the wall, whatever you want to call it. They all say you *have* to eat every 90 minutes or you'll bonk. That must be for 1) people riding a lot faster than me and/or or 2) people who don't have any body fat. I just don't find it to be the case. I generally start a ride without having eaten for over 12 hours. I have a small protein drink right before I leave. From there as long as I have an energy bar every 40 miles or so, I'm good.

I'll be carrying two 20 ounce water bottles and from the sound of it there will be stops to refill every 10 miles or so. Plus, there have to be convenience stores on the route where I can buy water if need be.

Good advice on pacing too. I find that to be the case on all my rides over say 15 miles. If I start too fast, I'll definitely feel it by the end of the ride. I can always ride faster later if I want. Interesting thought about the heat. I usually start before the sun is up to reduce heat exposure. I won't have that luxury on the ride as it starts at 8 AM. So a slightly faster pace in the morning is time I won't be dealing with heat mid day.

Thanks again for the excellent advice and info. I'm really looking forward to the ride!

-Matt