View Single Post
Old 01-06-20, 05:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I feel lucky because it's too expensive to park where I work, and public transit takes too long (and is also somewhat expensive), so I have one more incentive to stay on the bike in all conditions and don't mind experimenting with foul weather gear.

A co-worker clued me into VeloToze neoprene shoe covers: VeloToze cover . I ride with clip-in MTB shoes and these covers have held up much better than expected and keep my feet dryer than any other cover I have tried.
I like to say that I started bike commuting because I am too cheap to pay for parking, too impatient to ride public transit, and too lazy to walk. The real reason is that I was training for a triathlon and was blowing off bike workouts because after I rode the bus home and sat on the couch, I'd talk myself out of riding. I had the brainstorm that if I had my bike with me at the end of the workday, I'd have no excuse. That's when I discovered it was cheaper, faster, and a lot more fun and I've been doing it ever since (1998).

If it's raining cats and dogs and I have to be in a meeting or hearing with a suit on, I'll usually drive that day and pay the day rate for parking, but otherwise I'll ride every day year round.