mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
I've reviewed/read/searched that thread for hours..there's lot's of discussion about all aspects of a conversion. The problem is, the thread is so big that searching it is cumbersome. I tried to get the entire thread into one document to allow broad searching of all of it at one time..no success in that, so I searched it by page, by topic..as needed.

I don't understand why "frame size and rider's height" in that thread is necessary. You create lots of roadblocks..do the research and numbers from the knowledge of what frame & handlebar stack and reach fit's you. If you're not sure what fits you..then you need to start there, as any conversion without that knowledge is a random walk..
this is what fits me:

so I have a for range stack, reach, and ETT, but it might be possible to fit a bike with different measurements by changing the stem length and height. a frame that has a longer ETT sounds too big at first, but when you raise the stem quite a bit, the reach becomes shorter. at a certain point, that could compromise handling, though. I'll keep an eye out for something that can fit like the above within reason.