View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 09:39 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
My first fixed-gear was a conversion built on a c.1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix 21 years ago. Since then I've built many conversions, owned and sold a 1st generation Bianchi Eco-Pista, and ordered a custom Mercian road fixed-gear. Early on I decided that since I don't live anywhere near a track and have zero desire to race, I would be better off borrowing from old British club cyclists' practices in bike setup and run more road-oriented frames.

My Mercian is all-out British club bike design, 72-degree parallel head and seat angles, lugs, Reynolds 531, long chainstays, room for mudguards, usually with a big ol' Carradice saddlebag. I've done centuries and cross-state rides on it as well as multi-surface long-distance rides with 28 mm tires over dirt, gravel, asphalt and chipseal. It handles the far very well and the fast about as well as I can manage to make it go.

My conversion, built on a '71 Gitane, has the usual French geometry for 60 cm bikes, 73 head, 72 seat, with metric gauge 531, lugs, a shorter wheelbase that is still long by current standards, designed for long days in the saddle covering a lot of ground. It was built relatively cheaply with parts from the bin and a few carefully sought-out components. Very little cash went into it, mostly scavenging - the real deal was the frameset for $50 and trading an old dynohub front wheel for the Kogswell fixed/fixed & Mavic MA3 wheelset.

I blame the late Sheldon Brown. I was intrigued by the stripped-down experience of riding fixed, and I read all those testimonials of those who had gone over to the fixed side. Since 1999 I've ridden more than half of my total mileage on fixed-gear or single-speed bikes.
Very helpful information!

I'm also intrigued by the potential that the bike becomes an extension of myself. Your experience gives me hope that I'll find an appropriate frame to convert. I'm tempted to purchase the State Bicycles 'Suspect', just because it's so cheap. I want to avoid a poor first impression too. It seems you tried one first, then started investing.

I've imposed the condition of "original green paint" out of vanity more than anything else. It will pose a challenge, since green doesn't seem to be a popular color choice around here...
I realized last night that I may be excluding vintage touring frames unfairly, since modern 'endurance' frames use similar proportions, while modern touring bikes emphasize loaded touring. Investigating candidates is certainly helping me develop a shorthand method of estimating ride characteristics.

Do you pay attention to toe overlap on your Mercian?