Old 08-10-20, 07:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am not really paying too much attention to the tubeless chatter, but I did not realize that a HOOKLESS rim (which are becoming more popular) must be used with tubeless and NOT tubed tires. At least that's what a GCN video told me.

Is that true? I wonder if availability of hooked rims will decrease and force us all to tubeless, similar to what happened with disc brakes becoming "standard" on new road bikes?

#ConspiracyTheory
Two new hookless wheelsets have been introduced, but (among manufacturers of any significance) we're still probably able to count all of the available models on one hand - saying that they're becoming more popular is a bit of an over-sell.

That said, my Zipps are one of those new models. Yeah, you can only run them with tubeless tires, though you don't have to run them tubeless - you can stuff a tube in to those tubeless tires if you really want to.

In short, it's way too early to say that hookless will supplant hooked - I think that it'll take more time for wider/lower pressure to gain necessary traction before that could possibly happen - and I think that hooked options would still be around for a long time. But, even if Big Bicycle forces hookless upon you, you can still be a and toss in a tube.