View Single Post
Old 06-18-23, 12:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3495 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 1,159 Posts
I considered starting a new thread, but decided to just continue this one. (Note to administrators, if you think this should be a new thread, please make the change.)

If anyone wants to see the latest in bikepacking bikes, some of which look REALLY expensive, look at these links:
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2023-t...e-rigs-part-1/
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/rigs-o...divide-part-2/

No, these are not typical. These are built and packed with gear for those that want to suffer for a few weeks. I doubt that there is a single camp stove carried on any of them. Maybe the one with a trailer has a stove? I suspect bivy bags outnumber tents.

I only looked through about a third of the photos, I will look at them more later. But I was surprised at a few topics:
  • A lot of bikes have rear racks, very few look like metal, I think Tailfin has a near-monopoly for those that use one.
  • A couple have full size rear panniers. The 70 liter Ortliebs seem really out of place here. And one bike with full size rear panniers also has fenders and I think that bike has 40 spoke wheels.
  • The latest in wide range 1X systems appear to be prevalent, huge number of cassettes that look like 10-51 or 10-52.
  • There are a few double and triple cranks but you almost have to look for them to find them. There are a few single speeds too.
  • Pinion and Rohloff are just barely represented. Word search found one pinion and two Rohloffs, both chain and belt were used.
  • I was surprised how many solid forks there were, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of suspension forks too.
  • Almost no rear suspension.
I found that if I just wanted to page through the photos, I could click on any photo except the first, and then I only got the photo on the screen without text. Could page from bike to bike photo by clicking the right or left arrows.