Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobL
At the end of August, I started riding again. It had been 7 or 8 years since the last time I'd been on a bike. The thoughts had been building for a while and I said, "It's August! The bike will melt out from under me. When it cools down I'm going to start". I started riding my Magneto trainer the last week of August, and as you say, it's boring and I hate indoor riding. In October, when it finally started being under 90, I started riding outdoors. In the last couple of years, I'd lost 60 pounds, but doing no exercise aside from being up doing light activity several hours a day. I did nothing in particular for motivation except suddenly the urge to ride hit me.

Trying to motivate yourself to do something you don't want to do brings up a big "why??". Is there anything you'd like to do? If you'd rather walk or do just about anything else, you're more likely to stick with it.

I had planned to get out for a ride this morning, but spent a couple of hours yesterday sitting in an odd position working on stuff and woke up with my left hip hurting badly. I thought discretion argued to rest it. I still expect I need more recovery time at 64 than I did 10 or 20 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear others went through a restart as well. I hear you about the amount of time it takes to recover. Honestly I know I'll enjoy biking … always do when I finally get on the bike, it's more the motivation to get off my butt to do any kind of exercise. Only after losing 35 lbs do I feel like I have energy to get up and do stuff. I'm enjoying the momentum my weight loss has created and I'm just looking forward to getting into some kind of shape. I used to commute to work on bike many years ago. It was a 10km commute either way. Perfect way to start and finish the work day. I just wish I lived closer to work now. However, I live on an acreage which is connected to amazing country paved roads. I just need to find time before or after work to go for a ride.