Old 01-13-19, 07:42 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
Trying to find motivation to get back into shape after recently losing a bit of weight in the last couple of months. I'm thinking about restarting cycling this spring, and hoping that my motivation will carry through until then. I'll be setting up my old Fluid trainer shortly to see if I'll use it … although I always found it quite boring in the past. It's been a long time since I did any real amount of cycling. Did any of you guys get back on the bike after a long hiatus? Did you struggle with keeping up your motivation?
You know, i was going to recommend some kind of goal orientation. Set in your mind something you want to achieve and plan how to get there. For me, as a former half/metric/century rider I wanted to get back into those long rides, so I picked a half-century I want to ride, signed up, and have communicated to my friends so they'll keep me honest.

The challenge, though, is not to let your goal focus create the "have to ride" vs. "want to ride" mentality, as has been mentioned on this thread. I'm finding that myself -- I have to put in the miles to keep to my training plan, and sometimes that becomes a drag. Sometimes though, when I least want to ride, I hop on the bike and have the most exhilarating ride -- a fast ride on a beautiful day that leaves me wanting more.

Good luck finding that thing that motivates you. Keep us updated.