View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 08:57 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
I run a layer of cardboard with dense foam used in pelican cases to prevent damage. The foam is awesome for protecting the crank. I recently began adding tennis balls on the outside facing rim bolts to provide extra protection. Works great for leg stools on floors so I figured why not. No damage after about 50 flights in the past 2 years but twice Southwest lost my bikes. Both were found in less than 24 hours. The one that ended up in San Diego after I arrived in Kansas city will always be a mystery to me.
My packing and the foam protection was good to go. The bike made it to GA with no issues and it looked exactly like it did when I packed it in NH. The problem on the return flight was that TSA unpacked it and then didn't repack it correctly. The special flat plastic wheel axle protector was not facing the inside of the suitcase but was nested into the frame. The layer of foam that was sandwiched between the rear wheel and the frame was between the wheel and the inside of the suitcase. The padding between the front wheel (first thing in) was tossed to the side as was the padding around the chain rings on the crank. And finally, the securing strap was left unattached.

The moral of this story is, no matter how carefully we pack our bikes in our suitcases for travel--- the TSA can take it all apart and could care less about the damage they subsequently caused.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com