View Single Post
Old 03-22-19, 12:12 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The padding between the front wheel (first thing in) was tossed to the side as was the padding around the chain rings on the crank. And finally, the securing strap was left unattached. The moral of this story is, no matter how carefully we pack our bikes in our suitcases for travel--- the TSA can take it all apart and could care less about the damage they subsequently caused.
TSA has inspected my Vybe twice, luckily without damage. I do leave a packing diagram and contact # in the case. About halfway through my travels I began placing the wheels on top of the frame, rear wheel freewheel down and padded, front wheel offset of the rear. I used to do wheel, frame, wheel. I found on top still had plenty of room. I also only have to remove the crankside pedal. Also (I am guessing), but this way the TSA can pull the tires out and see all of the components and frame at once. less chance of them messing with it. I also leave one of their stamped inspection tickets in the case, as it may ward them off a bit.