Old 10-03-07, 03:01 PM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithA
Where do spin cycles work out in the scheme of things?

Our LifeCycle is on its last legs. I also find it pretty boring, especially with getting out there and actually cycling. I know that a spin cycle won't be as exciting as actually riding my bike outdoors, but, with the spin DVD's, it should be some improvement.

The reason I'm thinking about a spin cycle is that my whole family has used the LifeCycle for years. I'd like something that we can all use. I'm thinking of the Lamond very seriously, so if anyone wants to say yea or nay, please do so before I spend the money.

By the way, this thread is a good idea.
I saw the LeMonde spin cyle. It is well designed. It is quiet and fully adjustable (stem hight, fore/aft, as well as fore/aft seat positions to guarantee proper knee-foot alignment (knees over toes in 3:00 prosition).

Despite the excitement of the bike, spin cycles are boring indeed if you get on it and mindlessly spin. I especially find that time passes very slowly when you watch the clock. If, on the other hand you come with a pre-written program, it can be quite challenging; something like this:

Warmup:
light gear sping 80 rpm's 50 pedals strokes each leg
light gear sping 90 rpm's 50 pedals strokes each leg
light gear sping 100 rpm's 50 pedals strokes each leg
gradually increase resistance over then next 100 strokes until you cannot maintain at least 80 rpm;s

Workout:
spin 50 strokes 80 rpm's
immediately followed by 50 strokes 90 rpm's
immediately followed by 50 strokes 100 rpm's
immediately followed by 50 strokes 110 rpm's
2 minute easy recovery and repeat 2 more times

Set modeately high gear and repeat standing

There are lots of things you can simulate by just programming them into your workout. Just make certain to program enough recovery time between intervals. Use a h/r monitor. Before you know it, you have put in 45-60 minutes.

Use a fan and keep and towel and lots of water on hand. If your rides are still boring, you are not working hard enough.